Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Butterick 5030. View D.

Finally, a picture of a dress. I've been making this dress for weeks now. Not the fault of the dress, just not finding much time to sew. I like this dress, though. I've been wanting to make a wrap dress, and this one feels easy and summery. (And I do realize its fall. Ah well. I can wear it next year.)

The pictures make my waist look enormous. I didn't think the dress did, but I'll wear it with a belt to give my waist more definition.



Here's my pattern review.

Pattern Description:

Misses Dress, Belt and Sash. Flared, wrapped dress, below mid-knee has semi-fitted bodice, front band or collar, sleeve variations.

Pattern Sizing:
8,10,12,14. I made View D - made an 8 on top, and graded to a 12 at waist and hips.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Sort of. The neckline on my bodice was a lot lower, so much so I have to wear a t-shirt under. However, I am petite, so maybe that's why?

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I thought the pattern fit together well.

Fabric Used:
Striped shirting fabric bought on sale at Bou-clair (its a cotton blend, I think.) It was very easy to work with.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
Since I'm petite, I took inches off the skirt obviously. I also took an inch off the bodice. Now that I'm thinking about it though, I think this made my neckline that much lower.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I would definitely recommend this. I might sew it again in a very different fabric.

Conclusion
I really like this dress, and think I might actually wear it outside the house. (But with a belt, I think the dress really needs one.)




And finally, I need to learn to take better pics. Bleah.

1 comment:

renee said...

I *love* this dress. It works so well with the stripes! A skinny belt will be perfect.