Sunday, November 18, 2007

Weekend sewing.

Despite the 10 odd hours of football I watched today, I still managed to get a fair bit of sewing done over the weekend. Pattern reviews follow.

Burda World of Fashion Magazine: 09-2007-112 (Babydoll Top)



Pattern Description:
A simple babydoll top, with the gathered bust section made of jersey, and the lower section in silk satin. (I didn't use silk satin.)

Pattern Sizing:
34-42. I made a 36.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Oddly enough, yes. I'm not a fan of BWOF instructions, or lack thereof, but this top was easy to construct. (I'm a beginner.)

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
This kind of shirt sells at Banana Republic or other stores for big bucks. And its very simple to sew, and one of those patterns that look nice and dressy over jeans.

Also, I liked the gathering detail at the bust.

Fabric Used:
I used a thin black jersey, and a printed synthetic - bought bought at Fabric Land.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn't have enough of the printed black, it was a remnant. I therefore eliminated one pleat off each side.

Also, the directions called for an invisible zipper. I tried the top on without, and it fits, so I (happily) omitted it.

Finally, the directions called for bias strips on the back neckline and armhole edges. I tried bias strips, but my sewing machine was having none of it, and was being cranky. So, I omitted this, and just narrow hemmed both.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes. And yes. I can see this in a summery pale pink or some other pastel.



Conclusion
This kind of separate is perfect for my wardrobe, and I'm very happy. Its also really simple to sew, and I'm surprised more people haven't made it.


Burda World of Fashion Magazine: 10-2007-115 (Tee with folded-over gathers)




Pattern Description:
Tee with folded over gathers.

Pattern Sizing:
38-46. I made a 38, but left the seam allowances out, to make it closer to a 36 (without actually doing work.)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Like the line drawing, yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Thanks to Christina's review, yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Lots of people have reviewed this one, here's what I found were noteworthy about it.

I made this pattern 3 times, and got one working t-shirt out of it. (We'll call that 2 muslins. Things I found:

1. The neckline is really, really low. My final version has the neckline raised 1.5 inches.
2. The first two times I made this t-shirt, I folded the pleats so that the pleats radiated outward from the center. This both made the foldover part look a bit like a bib, but also made the neckline gape a bit. My last version, I folded the pleats all one direction, and this worked perfectly.
3. This works best with a lightweight knit. I tried it with a heavier knit, and the weight of the foldover part really made the neckline gape.

Fabric Used:
A thin jersey knit.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
As mentioned above, making a 38 without seam allowances to get a little fit. And raising the neckline 1.5 inches.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would definitely recommend this. Dunno if I would sew it again, but only because its quite distinctive, and I can't see my wardrobe having multiple of this t-shirt. (However, the pattern is easy to adapt to eliminate the foldover, and this would make a fantastic, basic, long-sleeved t-shirt pattern.)

Conclusion
I'm honestly thrilled with this t-shirt. Thrilled to bits.

Close up of the neckline...

2 comments:

Chicago Sarah said...

Wow. I need to drop the scarf project and get sewing- love the tops. beautiful!!

Gorgeous Things said...

Oooh, how cute! I never even noticed this top before your review.