Sunday, January 03, 2010

Myrtle Beach Cooking Part 2

Read more here about the Madhur Jaffrey project - one of my 2010 goals. For an index of recipes, click here.

Soup!

Tomato soup is something most people grow up eating, and experimenting with childhood food is always fraught with risk. None the less, I loved this version of tomato soup. It had ginger and curry, and was savory, spicy and delicious. Also, despite the 4(!) tablespoons of butter in it, it felt really light. (Plus, while my mom is a very good cook otherwise, I really do not like her tomato soup recipe.)

This was Christmas brunch for us, accompanied by this sandwich, which is a great way to sneak veggies into a grilled cheese sandwich. (I didn't make the sandwich, my brother was in charge. Copious amounts of butter probably made its way into that sandwich, but I'm of the don't-ask-don't-tell school here.)

Brunch, Dec 25 - Cream of Tomato Soup, and Cabbage, Onion, Cheese & Chili sandwich


Making Paneer - Dec 27, 2009

While in Myrtle Beach, I decided to tackle what I consider an entirely pointless recipe - Making Paneer.

Why pointless? Paneer is readily available in Indian grocery stores. Plus, it takes forever to make.

Still, it was done. Here are pictures. (It wasn't really great - I wonder if I should try making it again in my kitchen. It was hard cooking in someone else's kitchen.)

The curds draining in a cheesecloth.

Once that happens overnight, the curds are weighed down. (Using everything available in the kitchen.)

And here's the leftover whey.


I used the paneer to make Saag Paneer. Saag paneer is a curry that is readily available in EVERY Indian restaurant, so I was curious to see how good this version was.

It was delicious.

For dinner, I also made Potato patties stuffed with spicy peas, and plain boiled rice (using the leftover whey instead of water, which added a bit of richness to the rice.)

Dinner Dec 27 - Saag Paneer, Potato patties stuffed with spicy peas and Plain boiled rice.


No comments: