Saturday, March 27, 2010

Catching up on posting food pictures

Read more here about the Madhur Jaffrey project - one of my 2010 goals. For an index of recipes, click here.

On a a perfect Sunday morning, I woke up, made some amazing scrambled eggs, and lounged around drinking coffee and eating breakfast. Heaven!

Breakfast, Jan 10, 2010 - Scrambled eggs with spicy tomatoes

I made this lentil dish on a night when I was looking for instant gratification. Very little chopping, and 30 minutes later, I had this very tasty lentil dish, which I promptly gobbled up, in front of the TV. There were no leftovers.

Jan 12, 2010 - Lazy weeknight cooking - Lentils with Garlic and Tomatoes

Way back in early January, when I made the Okra fried with Onion and Green Chili, I realized that the Okra with Yogurt recipe involved mixing the cooked-as-described-in-above-recipe okra with yogurt. Well, then. Easy enough. I separated half the okra, mixed it in with yogurt, and called it a bit of a freebie. (But a tasty one.)

January 15, 2010 - Cheater-Cooking: Yogurt with Fried Okra

I made this Geeli Khichri just before I left for vacation. I ate as much as I could, but there were still leftovers. I told my brother to eat it, he didn't - and I had a bit of refrigerator clean-up to do when I returned. The new strategy - dumping leftovers on parents - is a much better idea.

Jan 27, 2010 - Geeli Khichri with store-bought pickle

This was one of the first meals I made when I came back from vacation. The dal did not photograph well, but it was delicious.

Feb 19, 2010 - dinner: Mushrooms with Onion, Garlic and Ginger, Roasted Mung Dal, Store-bought naan


I'd just returned from New York, newly resolute that I was going to finish this challenge. (Also, I had no food in the refrigerator, and I was starving.)

I reached home at 6.30am Monday morning, and I'm proud to say I cooked breakfast, instead of taking a nap. However, alas, I hated this recipe. It was heavy and tasteless. (Reinforcing my life motto - nothing good ever comes out of being awake at 6.30am.)

Breakfast, March 8, 2010 - Chickpea Flour pancakes, with store-bought pickle

Same day, in the evening, I made Potatoes with Whole Spices and Sesame Seeds, and Tomato, cucumber and onion relish. It was a 3-recipe day; dinner was tasty; I was happy.

March 8, 2010 - Potatoes with Whole Spices and Sesame Seeds; Tomato, cucumber and onion relish


The day after, I still had potatoes and the salad above, so I added a dal to it. (More nutritionally complete and all that.)

March 9, 2010 - Dry Mung Dal

Friday, March 12, I had a friend over for dinner to (re)watch Kill Bill. This khichri recipe took 3 hours to make, but it was so melt-in-mouth delicious! 3 hours though. Sigh. Time spent cooking = time not spent cleaning, which is a bit embarrassing really, because my house was not company-ready. More embarrassing - the portion sizes were way off! We scraped out the last of the khichri from the dish. Not having enough food for guests is the Indian-wake-up-screaming-nightmare. Double-sigh. At-least there was wine.

Also, this meal featured my first dessert recipe. I do need to make these, else I'll spend all December eating dessert. (Wait, I already do that. Ok then.)

Dinner March 12, 2010 - from the top of the bowl, clockwise: Gujarati Karhi with okra, Saag vali khichri, Gujarati cucumber and peanut salad. Next picture: Firnee.


Sunday night, March 14. I was lazing around big-time, and had 45 minutes to cook dinner for my parents and a friend of theirs. (If it was just the parents, that would have been ok, they are pretty relaxed.) I made a bunch of things that aren't from the cookbook (emergency go-to-15-minute recipes are awesome). I did make one thing from the cookbook though, this spiced, heated yogurt. It was a big hit (although, honestly, with my mom, not having to make dinner is such a relief that she'd be happy with pretty much anything.)

March 14, dinner with parents: Spiced, heated yogurt.

I made this okra last Friday night. I was heading out to play pool with friends, but decided I wanted to eat healthy first (as opposed to the burger+fries I'd have eaten at the bar.) Good call! This was easy and delicious.

Mar 19, 2010 - Friday night quick eating - Whole Okra (eaten with rice, not pictured)

Distinctly unenthusiastic Monday night cooking. I burnt the lima beans a little, which is a pity, because I have a feeling that had I taken a bit of care, this would have been very, very tasty. As it was, it was just about edible. Shrug.

Mar 22, 2010 - Blah Cooking - Lima Beans with Raisins, brown rice

I was much better the next day. Finding the fried wheat gluten in Chinatown was quite an adventure, so I absolutely wanted to use it before it went bad. (Does fried wheat gluten go bad?) This was absolutely delicious. I did want to make something soupy to go with it, but I had a flight to catch, so I cooked quickly, ate quickly, and set off for the airport.

Dinner, March 23, 2010 - Shredded wheat gluten and cabbage with fennel seeds, served with rice (not pictured)


Wow, that took forever to write!

No comments: