Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The "Expensive Gym Membership" Effect

aka: Why I should stop buying fabric.

This excellent post on the Happiness Project really resonated with me.

I've been in a spate of pattern-buying recently, and before this, fabric. The fabric was relatively justifiable - I haven't been to India in years, and it was hard to resist amazingly good fabric, since I knew I wouldn't be back for a couple of years, at least.

But the pattern buying? No justification whatsover. I bought 5 patterns from Vogue. I've asked a friend to bring me another 6 McCalls patterns. Every month this year, I've spent $11 on Burda. I've made 0 patterns.

I'm too weak to call my friend and cancel the McCalls pattern order. But. Before I buy the next pattern, I'll wonder if what I really should be doing instead is making time to sew.

No comments: