Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Cocktail Dress in a hurry!

So I need to make a cocktail dress for PR Montreal.

I have a week and a half of time, which would generally be sufficient, if not for the reasonably-frantic pace of my life. (Tonight, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday are reasonably booked up, leaving umm... no time to get it made.)

On the good side, I have fabric. Both my aunt and my mom have given me old saris (beautiful silk in the most amazing colors - I have a grey silk, a midnight-blue silk and a cream-ish silk to work with, I think.)

On the bad side, I have no idea what a cocktail dress is supposed to look like. (In my fantasy life, I have occasions where I need to wear a cocktail dress. In my real life - not so much.)

In other sewing news - my skirt and jacket are languishing, unfinished, as I haven't gone near my sewing machine in a week.

Up next - later tonight, I'm going to pick a pattern for this. Given I have a week to make it, it is safe to say it'll be easy.

3 comments:

Jacquie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rose said...

Yes, I sympathize with your lack of ocasions for a cocktail dress. I think think of cocktails dresses as being the same as (or in a similar class as) dressed to wear to formal weddings (as a guest) or for a special ocasion date. It's flattering and made from special fabric. I'm sure that you will create something that matches that criteria (or that matches your own standard!) :)

Rose in SV (which is the home of 'business casual')

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

Hi Reethi,
Take a look at McCall 6113. I think this might suit your needs. It looks simple to sew, so not too much worry on the time factor and I think the style would be a perfect showcase for some of the sari fabric you have. Let me know what you think. I am going to try this myself.
Angeal