Sunday, August 08, 2010

FInished Object - New Look 6674

Well, it's done, but I'm not thrilled with it... It looks ok in this picture...


but in this picture, you can see the amount of excess fabric at the bodice/waist...


I need to shorten the bodice, most likely at the shoulder, shorten the sleeve to match, and adjust so the midriff piece actually hits me at my waist, vs. below. And if there's something magical I can do to raise the neckline so I don't *have* to wear a tank top underneath, that'll be good too...

Let's call this the first draft? The second to follow...

And the skirt - what you do think? Too short, or fine?

6 comments:

Amy said...

I like your dress and that color looks really, really good on you! I can see what you mean about needing to shorten the bodice a little. Do you think if you do that the neckline will also end up higher? The skirt length is just right.

SEWN said...

I'm not sure how to raise your neckline, but I agree you need to shorten the waist. The skirt length looks great on you. I wonder if you can fix this version to an acceptable to you level, because this color is really flattering on you.

Anonymous said...

looks great! Very flattering.

Chicago Sarah said...

I like the skirt length... would it work to redraw the bodice front to give more fabric on the wrap piece (not sure that came out right, but basically redraw the neckline)? You could probably pinch out the excess waist fabric if it bothers you, just tuck it in on the waistline. I love that color on you!

anuradha said...

Like it,but may need a few adjustments,I also feel taht the neckline may go up if you do something to the bodice.Colour is nice on you!

Summerset said...

I think it is a great dress on you! It easy to fix that bodice from being too long; fold out some of the bodice pattern between the bust point and waist seam - this is where your excess fabric is anyway - on both the front and back pieces. This will shorten the bodice without messing with the shoulder (I try not to mess with shoulders if possible!). I think Ann of Gorgeous Fabrics showed how to raise a cross-over, v-neck like that on her blog at one point. You might want to look there.

I'd say keep this one - it is cute and would look nice this fall with a cardigan, which might cover the waist wrinkles, too.