Friday, October 08, 2010

Highs & Lows

ETA - I'm supposed to mention my mom took the photos, and that's the reason I won. Thanks, Mom!

The highs: Awww, thanks! So, I won. I'm pretty pumped. I've only been garment-sewing since 2007, and still feel very much like a beginner, so it's extra-nice to be recognized for sewing something good.

Everyone that left a nice comment, both on my blog, and on PatternReview - thanks! Every one of your compliments really made my day. I joke that no-one other than my mom reads my blog, and I cherish each comment I get.

The lows? The way I found out I won was through a rather mean series of anonymous comments.

Let's see - they started out with this.

It's ok, you won! despite not entering on time AND having your items not qualify. Great job!


It felt mean, but I wasn't sure if someone was being mean, or if I was being overly sensitive.

But it quickly got clearer.


The correct date is on the fist page of the contest rules. Not the 15th page. And it does say bolero's are not allowed on the front page as well.
I guess it was too much of a pain to read the rules on the first page of the forums, or ask for clarification.
Very glad to see you won despite all that though! Guess you'll be getting that Jailie pattern :D


Great job winning by getting votes through your blog, even though you didn't technically qualify!
Pat yourself on the back :)


Hmm. I don't know if I should just be laughing here at the idea that enough people read my blog to swing a contest. Not to mention the implication that the people that read my blog & voted for me had *no free will* in the matter.

All I'll say is this - I understand that by blogging, I open myself out to nice comments and mean comments. I've been lucky so far that all my comments tend to be nice and supportive, and that's what I think of the sewing community, it is a nice, supportive group of people.

Dear Anonymous - I'm sorry that my Jalie pattern is causing you so much grief. But let's see - I made the case to the contest organizers that their signage was confusing, and they clearly agreed - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to enter the contest. And also - my cape isn't a bolero, which is clear from the construction instructions. I'm pretty sure boleros have sleeves.

And really, at the end of the day, why am I even dignifying this with a reply?

Back to the highs. I won!!!!! Thanks, y'all.

15 comments:

Connie said...

I wouldn't respect the comment of a person who doesn't have the guts to leave a name!
You won because you DESERVED to win my friend! I adore all your accessories!!

Clio said...

There were other good entries, but I thought you did a GREAT job, your accessories really stood out, and you deserved to win - as did all the other people who voted for you!

Don't let the haters bring you down!

Summerset said...

Congrats! Enjoy your pattern!

Cas... said...

Haters! It's a shame but unfortunately they exist.

Congratulations on your win. Enjoy it.

AllisonC said...

Congratulations on winning the contest and sorry you got some mean comments. And well done to your mum on the great photos too!!

Rose said...

Congratulations!

I voted for you because I liked your entry the best.

Rose in SV

Joy said...

I thought there were quite a few nice entry items overall. Your cape and red belt really stood out for me, though.

Kitty Couture said...

Congratulations on winning the contest! Your entry was great.

So much spite for just a fun contest and a Jalie pattern. Oh dear!

Enjoy the pattern and savour your success.

Lilian said...

Congratulations. So lovely you won! You deserved it so enjoy it to the fullest and don't listen to what 'they' say.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

You won because people like me voted for youand frankly your stuff looked fantastic! Congratulations on you win and for arguing your case.

Claire S. said...

Congratulations ! All of your pieces look wonderful.

Agreeing w/Connie - no respect for a comment without a name. Pretty cowardly !

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you won, Reethi! I am from Toronto and hang around your blog once in a while.

You go, girl!!

As for that nasty commenter, somebody's feeling 'sour grapes'.. putting you down made her feel high!!! all at her own expense!!! dont worry about it!

Sew Shy said...

Congratulations! Wow, that person's really bitter!

Jackie T said...

Dear Reethi, I voted for you because I thought your entries were the best of the lot and I really liked the belt. I follow your blog because I love your enthusiasm with your sewing - even when something might not work you, you are still positive. For a beginner sewer, that's a great incentive. Try not to take nasty comments too much to heart. From what I can see the positive comments far outweigh the negatives, who chose to hide behind their anonimity anyway. I think you should enjoy your Jalie pattern and thumb your nose at those nasty pasties!!!!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Reethi - Congratulations on winning! I just saw that the other day...I'm so far behind when it comes to PR!!!

And I understand the hate especially when it masquarades as anonymous. Keep your head up! You won because you deserved too! Congrats again!