Thursday, March 10, 2011

In which I rant (and then cheer up to talk about upcoming sewing)

I'm utterly sick of winter - it snowed again yesterday. Although, thankfully, this time around, it didn't stick on the ground - it has now changed to yucky rain, and is all slushy and slippery.

I leave for 4 days in San Francisco next week, and can't wait.

There is a Work-in-progress project on the sewing table - I'm trying to replicate this Proenza Schouler dress.



Its been a bit slow going, but at this point, I just have to hem the dress and lining, and I'm done! I'm not sure how closely my dress resembles the original (the hem is a bit off, and I flipped the asymmetric front by mistake), and I'm not sure how much wear I'll get out of such a distinctive dress, but it was a fun project. I like the challenge of trying to replicate RTW.

(Speaking of which, if you haven't been checking out Summerset's Make The Look series, you must go do so as soon as you finish reading my rant.)

This dress should be done today/tomorrow. (I have social commitments both evenings, but I just need an hour! I can find an hour, right? Right?)

The reason the dress needs to get done as soon as possible is because I need jeans! I never ever thought I'd ever try to make my own jeans but (a) I'm in the middle of Me-Made-March, with a trip to San Francisco coming up. Yes, I could wear skirts, but jeans would be great and (b) I actually really need a new pair of jeans, and I shudder at the idea of going shopping, especially in winter, with jackets and boots, and 500 layers to take off in the dressing room before you can try on a pair of jeans, plus (c) any RTW jeans will likely need to be shortened, so I might as well try to do all myself.

As usual, I think I'm crazy.

I still haven't claimed my prize from the Accessories contest, so I don't have the Jalie jeans pattern handy. But, I was flipping though old Burda issues, and came across this pattern.



And its technical drawing looks like this:


Perfect! I have some stretch denim I found in a remnant bin in New York for a dollar. I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt flat-felled seams; I don't have rivets for the jeans, and will probably make it more like trousers, and less like true jeans. Top-stitched in matching blue thread, not gold, I think, and so on... my one pair of RTW jeans are like this, so I can look at them for details, since the Burda instructions are (as is their norm) rather sparse.

Jeans in a weekend? We shall see.

No comments: