Friday, April 08, 2011

Honey, I lost my sleeves!



One of my most recent pattern acquisitions was McCalls 6200. Yesterday evening, I was looking for an instant-gratification project, so I pulled out this pattern, some fabric I'd recently bought at Fabricland (it was a remnant, I can never resist those), and started cutting.

Of course, it was only after I cut out the front that I realized I didn't have enough fabric. (Yes, I know I should have measured, but I was also setting up my new laptop at the time, and I was cutting on the floor, while trying to prevent Biscuit from walking on my fabric. I just wasn't paying attention.)

And so, the dress has no sleeves. I had to do a little tweaking to get it to work (the sleeve opening was too low, so I sewed that seam higher to get it to not be quite as revealing.)

Despite the oops! - I like this dress a lot. I love the fabric, it feels nice to the touch, and I'm currently drawn towards shades of blues and purples (see this shirt as evidence). It'll work well for summer, and I can wear it in spring and fall with tights and a jacket.

Oh - definitely worth mentioning - check the amount of ease in this dress. I typically cut a 10 on top, and a 12 on the bottom. I went down a size for this, 8 on top, 10 on the bottom, and I think it turned out perfect.

5 comments:

Sheryll said...

It looks great Reethi - sometimes running out of fabric is good!

Summerset said...

I think it looks great without sleeves! You won't need them anyway, it is almost spring.

ME said...

You should use this pattern again as it looks very nice on you, especially the neckline and the way you cut and set in the invisible sleeves.The colors are great for you.

Anonymous said...

What a lucky mistake because I think the dress looks great on you as is. However you did it, this looks just right.

anuradha said...

The pic. does not do justice,its been stitched very well,good job,Reethi!