Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Almost new - McCalls 6112 (view B)


It is Diwali today, and one of our Diwali traditions is wearing new clothes.

On the phone with my mom, I was trying to figure out what was new in my wardrobe. Nothing came to mind. I didn't have any time to hastily sew myself something new, and buying something when you have a fabric stash the size of mine - well, that isn't really an option.

So, I settled for almost new - this version of McCalls 6112 (view B), that I've worn out only once before. I started this mid-September, finished it early October right after I came back from France, and wore it out to a friend's for Thanksgiving lunch. Almost new was going to have to be good enough.

Let's see - this is pretty simple construction. I looked over the instructions, they looked fine. What I did differently? Interface the edges of the hem, neck arm-holes and shoulder openings, for extra stability. Though painful, this extra step is definitely worth it - my dress feels well-constructed.

In retrospect, I wish I had bothered to make view C - the version with pockets. Or added in-seam pockets to my version. However, at the time, I was ridiculously busy, and was looking for instant gratification, so no pockets it is.

(Showing off the crazy sleeves...)

Note to self: get a better black belt, this one is pretty pathetic. Or alter this one by cutting off the excess length.

Funny/random story: My parents drove into the city (they live in the suburbs) and my brother, my parents and me went out for Diwali dinner. To a Chinese restaurant. Eating Chinese for Diwali is definitely not a tradition (although our food was delicious - maybe it should become a tradition!) But it cracked us up, eating Chinese on the biggest Indian festival of the year.

6 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

That's a cute dress, love the print.

cidell said...

I LOVE the print. I'm going to an south India wedding this weekend and one of the meals is Indo-Chinese. I keep meaning to look up the connection :)

Clio said...

Great dress - cute sleeves!

Carolyn said...

This dress is lovely, totally gorgeous print! And I LOVE the sleeves! Your story of eating Chinese food to celebrate the biggest Indian festival made me smile :D

Summerset said...

I think the dress is great; eating Chinese food is ironic for an Indian holiday, but if you and your family still celebrated the spirit of the festival, then why not?

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

It looks great on you. I li,e the slits in the sleeves.