Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Rebellion!

Let's be honest, dear Readers - I knew this moment would come. The moment where I was sick of the SWAP, and just wanted to sew something - entirely without a plan.

Yeah, the only surprise is that I stayed true to the course for this long.

Anyway, I had a couple of hours tonight, and instead of diligently cutting out my black t-shirt, my black skirt, or my cream skirt, I wondered if I had enough options to stop sewing today. (I might, I'll need to ponder on that for a bit. More on that in a bit.)

And then, I cut out a pair of hopefully easy pants.

The pattern is BWOF 6-2011-114. Clio made it in an awesome floral print. Tany had just used regular wide elastic and left it visible - a brilliant idea that I'm totally going to copy.  I'm making it in a drapey tan fabric - a gift from a friend. (My friend Beth helps a puppy shelter by sorting through stuff they get for donation, I think. I'm a little vague on the details. But whenever someone donates fabric, she sets it aside for me. How cool is that? I'm rather spoiled, I think.)

So, sometime - maybe Thursday or Friday, I'll sew it up. (Tomorrow is the big one-day-ahead-of-birthday party, where the Vogue dress will get a preview. Needless to say, I didn't fast the last 10 days. Spanx. Enough said.)

Ok, now to the SWAP. I spent a bit of time assessing options. Here's where I'm at.

This is the list of garment categories.

Button Down Shirt w/Collar         
Blouse or shirt   (collar is optional)                 
T-Shirt           
Vest                                
Overshirt                 
Dress             
Jeans
Trousers       
Shorts or Capri Pants       
Skirt   
Jacket (jean jacket, windbreaker, hoodie, etc.)                     
Coat  (suit or sport coat)
Overcoat or Raincoat     
Bathing Suit & Coverup 



- You need to make 11 garments from 7 distinct categories.
- The start date was Dec 25 (important for me, as I'll need to separate what I made before and after Christmas.).
- I can use 2 garments that are either store-bought, or pre-sewn, lowering my total to 9 garments required. (I was hoping to avoid this, but I'm now bored. I might do this.)

So, against categories, I have:

1. Button-down shirt w/collar -  Light green checked shirt.

2. Blouse - Pink and brown flowered blouse. I did cut this out in Myrtle Beach, but since I got to Myrtle Beach Christmas eve - I'm fairly certain I started this after Dec 25.
3. Blouse - Lace blouse. Same thing as above, I cut it in Myrtle Beach.

4. T-shirt - Cowl-neck t-shirt.
5. T-shirt - if I abandon the black-t idea, I sewed most of a t-shirt in New York that's black polka dots that would work well. (It's less than an hour to finish, so I should get on that!) Or, I could use another yet-to-be-blogged t-shirt (white and black stripes) using fabric I bought in New York. (Wait, I haven't confessed to that yet, have I?)

6. Dress - Greige dress.
7. Dress - Purple flowered dress.

8. Trousers - grey pants.

9. Jacket - my hoodie.

Hmm. I'm running into a bit of a wall when I contemplate skirts - I have too many skirts! I don't need more skirts. I might use a pre-sewn skirt - I have a couple of summer black options.

Which means, I'll either need to make another jacket or another pair of pants to finish.

Hey, suddenly, my BWOF pants make sense. A plan, without even meaning to have one.

No comments: