Sunday, February 24, 2013

Toronto Sewing Blog Meetup - best Saturday afternoon ever!

Ok, can I gush a little, and talk about how much fun I had yesterday afternoon? Toronto Sewing Blog Meetup - best idea ever! About a million thanks to Gillian and Adrienne, who took the initiative and did the hard work to get a bunch of us GTA residents together!

I had such a blast!


I'm rather shamelessly stealing Gillian and Adrienne's photos - I was too busy having fun, I think I took one photo.


Rather than try to list everyone who was there, I've added a link of my fellow GTA bloggers on the left - that way, I can blog-stalk them!

Ok, everyone who's ever met a sewing blogger in person will attest to this - the sewing community is so incredibly nice! I'm always a bit nervous when meeting new people, but I think this lasted about 10 seconds yesterday - Catja handed me a cake pop, Gillian handed me a name tag, and I promptly forgot to be nervous, and just had a blast instead.

We shopped (ahem, I'll get to that bit in a moment), and then did a super-fun fabric/pattern swap at a bar, accompanied by beer and food. (In that order, I'm afraid, beer on an empty stomach is a very bad idea!) I scored! My first Colette pattern (the Crepe), a Vogue pattern, and a vintage pattern with a very cool mock-wrap blouse (which I must make!). Also, a metre of some soft black poly (I think), which will be perfect for a blouse, and one little bit of some Art-Deco printed cotton, which will work well for a quilt.


Ok, now for the shopping confessions - it actually wasn't too bad. On my way down there, on the subway, I wrote a little list of what I was allowed to buy - things that were actually holes in the stash. I ended up buying just one piece of fabric, a piece of stretch faux leather, that I'm going to make leggings out of.  (Guys - I live 30 minutes from the fabric district, there's no need to stash, seriously! Or so I have to remind myself.) Also, I bought interfacing, but that's practical and necessary!

Best afternoon ever! There's talk of a summer version, and I can't wait!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a great time. I only learned of the get together on the Thursday and unfortunately had plans. I'll be there for the next one for sure.

Sally Burch said...

What a lovely idea! I'm rather the wrong side of the Atlantic for your meet-ups... but you all look such a cheerful bunch. Bet it was fun.

Andi said...

It was so great to meet you on Saturday! So much fun was had and I can't wait for the next one :)

Claire S. said...

oh, it looks like it was fun !


August, August, August...

Debbie said...

I had a really great time on saturday. Good to meet you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Reethi, It was so great to see you again, and I'm only to happy to have you stalk me on my blog. I plan to do the same on yours :). Also, wanted to let you know that I have posted my pics and write-up for the meet-up here: http://gjeometry.com/2013/02/27/sewing-bloggers-united-for-a-meet-up/

Enjoy!

Carolyn said...

Looks like you all had a wonderful time!! It is brilliant that you got to meet with lovely like minded ladies :)

Connie said...

Sure, post details of a fun day I couldn't get to! Thanks for the details Reethi. I KNOW you will let me know when another one is scheduled!