Thursday, August 15, 2013

McCalls 6566 - Purple t-shirt

Dear readers, there's some serious non-sewing going on here. I'm sitting in the middle of a massive pile of UFOs, and I'm slowly trying to dig myself out of it. It's slow going. Let's instead talk about something happier, shall we?

Normal front view.

When I visited my cousin in New York (June), we hit up a Joann's, and bought a ton of patterns. (There was a 5/$5 McCalls sale, and well, I went a little crazy.) She then forced me to actually sew one up in her house, and hence and therefore, this t-shirt! It's McCalls 6566, the version with the high-low hem, but with the little pocket omitted.

(Antidote to procrastination. Having someone hover over you making you sew. Oddly effective, I recommend it.)

Let's talk about this t-shirt, shall we?

- I like the cut-on sleeves.

- I like the concept of the loose-fit, but I think I went too far here. This is a medium, on my next go-around of this make, I will make a small. There's plenty of ease here.

You can see both the cut-on sleeves, as well as the copious amounts of ease. (Oh, and also a tomato.)

- It turns out long! I think the front length was originally past my hip. Pretty dowdy, especially with the extra loose-fit. I cropped it so that it was slightly lower than my waist in the front, and half-covering my butt in the back, and I like this new length a lot better.

Side view, you can see the high-low hem, and it gives you an idea of the length.
- I can see this in a solid! I should definitely make myself another version, incorporating all my changes, because this would be a great basic t-shirt.

And this is the back. With the scarecrow pose, it rides up a bit higher, but most of the time, it covers about half of the jeans pockets.
All that being said, this current version, while not being exactly what I was looking for, still has a role in my closet. It's amazingly comfortable, it works over jeans, and it hides the beer gut pretty well. Love it !

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

It looks very nice! and I don't see it as dowdy, but as a easy breezy summer top for the weekend. I like your antidote to procrastination! My mother always recommended cutting the fabric as soon as you got home from the store, that works well a lot of the time too :)

Gjeometry said...

I think the top is very cute!! It looks breezy and summery to me. You can even use it as a beach coverup if you feel it is too baggy to wear as a top.

Gjeometry said...

I think the top is very cute!! It looks breezy and summery to me. You can even use it as a beach coverup if you feel it is too baggy to wear as a top.

Unknown said...

OK so how about a big thank you to your favorite cousin for hovering inspiringly while you make the top :)

Charles said...

This is fantastic!